Sunday, January 7, 2018

Handling Disappointment

What do you do when things don't go as you planned or thought they would? How do you take it when progress is excruciatingly slow or even backward? My tendency is to abandon ship in an attempt to stave off something worse, failure. It's not failing if it's my choice right? You see, this week, even though I said I was going to read my Bible and not weigh in until Wednesday, I did neither. I haven't even opened my Bible once this week and I've weighed in everyday. For two of the three days, the scale went up, although it was only slightly. I had a few moments of doubt and frustration. How can I be so good with eating and yet make no progress? It's been 4 whole days after all, gosh darn it!

So I took a chill pill and realized that maybe I was dehydrated on my first weigh-in day giving me a lower start point, or perhaps I gained a little water weight because I am a woman and our bodies are crazy and never do what we want. Of course if I had followed my plan all along, I wouldn't know that I fluctuated up nor would I have been frustrated. I didn't jump ship however! I remained steadfast and on plan to follow this Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle, and even though I didn't reach all my goals this week, I am on track. My body feels healthier, less bloated, and even my complexion looks better. I'm happy with my progress!

Tomorrow starts a new week, since today is Sunday, and with it brings the beginning of a new semester of school for my children and myself. I tutor a class in our local Classical Conversations community called Essentials where we go over some pretty intensive grammar and writing techniques. It hasn't been the most pleasant of years so far and to be honest, I really don't want to go back. I realize that I needed an attitude adjustment over this a few weeks back, so I've tried to have a more positive attitude when I think of it. I will admit to whining earlier today about having to write a lesson plan, however.  I have to maintain my positive attitude even though I don't feel like it all the time. I tell my oldest daughter that having a good attitude especially when you don't feel like it, shows maturity. I can fake it until I make it, and maybe I'll find myself enjoying those things I don't want to do. I believe in the program and the results I've seen in not only my own children but also the kids in my class.

Just like school, taking these steps to achieve a healthier life isn't easy or always fun. If I have a negative view of why I am doing it, following the steps is so much harder and I'm less likely to see success. Just like Classical Conversations, I believe in the process of Trim Healthy Mama, because I've seen it work in so many peoples' lives. I want to be a success story too, so this week, my focus is maintaining a great attitude about why I'm living this way and why God has me tutoring this class at this time. I don't believe it is without a purpose, so I need to keep that in perspective. Perhaps the key to handling disappointment is to alter my perspective and change my attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment